Newsportal - Ruhr-Universität Bochum
These are the best information security measures
RUB is frequently hit by waves of spam, phishing or extortion emails. At present, highly dangerous Emotet emails are once again emerging as a serious threat, despite the fact that the network was taken down in early 2021. The gateway are emails with malicious links, malicious code in attachments and fake senders. This may result in IT systems becoming compromised or in financial damage through fraud.
We would therefore like to remind you of the most important information security measures:
1. Please take time to perform a 3-second email security check:
- Is the sender somebody you know?
- Are you expecting a document from this sender?
- Do the subject line and content of the email make sense?
- Check any links carefully: Does the link go to a page that you would expect?
- Check the sender’s address carefully: Do you know it?
2. Emotet emails are often written in response to previous conversations. Even if you know the sender and the original email, don’t trust any unexpected attachments or download links. If you have the slightest doubt, check with the sender through other communication channels.
3. Create regular backups of your data – preferably on read-only or offline media. Make sure that your backups are complete and can be fully restored before anything happens.
4. Only enter confidential data – especially passwords – on websites that you have accessed yourself in the browser. Attackers often imitate the login pages for RUB webmail, RUB Outlook web access or other RUB pages.
5. Always keep your IT systems and mobile devices up-to-date, install updates as soon as they become available.
6. Protect your IT systems with antivirus software. Students and employees are allowed to install Sophos on official and private devices.
7. Only install software from reliable sources, e.g. official app stores.
8. If in the slightest doubt, ask your colleagues, your admins or the helpdesk for assistance.
Our campaign page provides additional tips and background information. You can also subscribe to our InfoSec newsletter there.
Software applications worldwide are currently affected by a Java vulnerability called Log4Shell. RUB has taken immediate security measures.
- News from 13 December 2021 (German language)
16 December 2021